Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Gear Review: Saucony Freedom ISO


First off, I'd like to extend a huge THANK YOU to Dane at Run In, here in Greenville, SC.  Dane introduced me to the Saucony Freedom ISO, and I couldn't be more pleased with them.

Also, please note that I am in no way affiliated with Saucony, nor do I receive any type of compensation for mentioning their products.  I am just a guy who has been incredibly happy running in Sauconys.

Now, for the review...I feel like this post needs to be started off with a "WOW!!!  This really is a fantastic shoe!!!!"  However, before I really dive into my thoughts about these shoes, I think some brief information about my running is important.

2016 Running Stats To Date:
Total Miles - 1,128 miles
Weekly Average - 22.12 miles per week
5 highest mileage run weeks - 39.6, 38.2, 36.4, 34.1, and 32.0 miles
Current primary training and racing shoe - Saucony Kinvara 7

Historically, I have run in whatever model of Saucony Kinvara is the newest.  I feel like it is a fantastic all-around shoe.  I weight around 165 pounds and I tend to run slightly on the outside of my foot (this is happening much less as my mechanics are improving significantly during the off-season).  I tend to get around 230-260 miles out of my Kinvaras.  I suspect I will get a tad more as my mechanics improve as I'm wearing shoes more evenly now.

First up, some general pictures - quick note - I am THAT lazy Triathlete that hates to tie his shoes.  Any running shoes I have will quickly get elastic laces!

seriously dig the color on these!


4mm heel to toe offset


again...sick colors!


Weight:
According to Saucony, the shoes weigh 9 ounces.  I believe that is based off a size 10, and I'm going to assume that is also without laces.  Wearing a size 10.5 and with laces in, it weighed in at just over 10 ounces.
10.12 ounces in size 10.5 freedom ISO - 36 miles run in them
 Compared to my size 10.5 kinvara it is 2 ounces heavier.
8 ounces flat - 17 miles run in them



Now, some side by side comparisons...




note the wear on my kinvara on the right
So, what are my thoughts?  I'll break it down into 3 sections...The Lower, The Upper, and The Overall.

The Lower:
The full midsole of EVERUN technology is amazing.  The shoes feel incredibly springy for having such awesome cushioning.  I would say the cushioning feels "dense" in a good way.  It doesn't feel like a big marshmallow.  Even though there is a moderate level of cushioning, it still feels very connected to the ground.

The Upper:
The upper on the Freedom ISO is amazing!  I have done a number of my runs without socks, and it feels absolutely smooth as can be.  They did an amazing job with the upper.  It actually feels "sock-like".

The Overall:
I really like these shoes.  I'm not planning to leave my Kinvaras anytime soon, but the more miles I put on the Freedoms, the more in love with them I fall.

If you are looking for a good all-around running shoe, I would absolutely look into the Saucony Freedom ISO.

Happy Training!



No comments:

Post a Comment